The following statistics are relevant to the state of Georgia. More details can be found at the website www.dhr.georgia.gov , just enter suicide statistics in the search engine.
- In Georgia, suicide accounts for 10.9 deaths out of every 100,000.
- Each year, approximately 900 Georgians die from suicide
- Each year, approximately 2800 Georgians are hospitalized
- The cost of hospitalization due to self-inflicted injury is more than 32 million dollars
- Suicide is the 3rd most common cause of death among Georgians ages 15-34
- 9% of Georgia high school students have reported a suicide attempt
- 69% of suicides in Georgia have involved firearms
If think someone you know is suicidal, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!!!
Talk to the person about your concerns and make sure to LISTEN. Ask direct questions, do not leave the person alone, do not swear to secrecy, and GET professional help.
You can CALL 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK
Let's all do our part to help keep Georgians healthy and safe!!